Military Dependents Checklist

Military Dependents, in order to get your benefits applied by the Military and Post-Traditional Student Services:

Federal Benefits

If you have not applied for your benefit...

  • Go to 
  • Click on VA Benefits and Health Care, then Education and Training, then How to Apply
  • Scroll down and click on the green "Find your education benefits form"
  • Answer the questions, which should take you to the correct application

If you have used the benefit in the past and need to transfer it to JSU...

  • Try to find your most recent Certificate of Eligibility sent to you by the VA. 

Required Documents

The following documents must be uploaded on the JSU Military and Post-Traditional website:

  • Certificate of Eligibility – Scan and upload (You will receive this in the mail after you apply for your benefit)
    • Chapter 35 (DEA) - Must include the Veteran's Social Security or Case number written on the top of the first page.

Additional Requirements

Chapter 33 (Transfer of Entitlement Post 9/11 GI Bill)

  • Monthly Enrollment Verification (You must verify your attendance the last day of every month)
    • Call the GI Bill Hotline (1-888-442-4451) to opt-in to the text verification process.

State Benefit

If you have not applied for the GI Dependent Scholarship...

If you have used the GI Dependent Scholarship at another school and need to transfer it to JSU:

Additional Requirements

  • FAFSA - Per the State of Alabama, you must fill out, complete, and be eligible to use FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) for your benefits to be processed and applied.
    • High school students doing dual enrollment, you still have to apply for FAFSA even if it will get denied. 
    • Check to see if you need any additional documents to complete the FAFSA, go to your MyJaxState portal and/or check your JSU email.