SSC 101 Mentor Program
Learn About the Program
This program is designed to help increase retention for both the first year and upper-level students involved while increasing the effectiveness of the SSC 101 First Year Experience course.
Mentors will have the opportunity to learn, reflect, and grow while being mentored by instructors for SSC 101.
Mentors will help first year students transition to JSU by sharing their experiences, providing support, and creating a sense of belonging.
- Establish a positive relationship with students in the SSC 101 classroom.
- Establish a positive relationship with the SSC 101 instructor.
- Learn about resources provided by JSU to assist first-year students.
- Define personal leadership and communication skills to grow throughout the semester.
- Develop transferable skills to use in other leadership roles and through your future career.
- Attend and assist with weekly SSC 101 class meetings. Mentors will co-lead/lead at least one class meeting.
- Attend two training sessions, one at the end of spring semester and one during summer.
- Host a social event and check-ins for their SSC 101 class.
- Attend check-ins with other SSC 101 mentors and the program advisor.
Serving as an SSC 101 Mentor will give you the opportunity to grow your leadership skills, communication skills, general JSU knowledge, and your confidence. This program will give you an opportunity to work alongside a faculty/staff member at JSU and make connections with first year students. The number one goal is to help align upper-level students with an instructor to help positively impact the SSC 101 experience and create a sense of belonging for first-year students.