Frequently Asked Questions

There are a few ways to report a policy violation.  If it's a possible crime, you can go to the police, however, if you're not sure, please use our incident reporting form to provide as much information as you know about the alleged incident. 

If you receive a letter from our office, it means you may have allegedly been involved in an incident.  We strongly encourage that you follow the instructions listed in the letter, as a lack of compliance could lead to possible University action regarding your status as a student.

If you are arrested, charged, or convicted of a designate criminal offense you must make a disclosure to the Office of Community Standards within five (5) business days. Please refer to the University’s Student Self Reporting Policy and use our self-reporting form.  

The University Student Conduct System is modeled after administrative proceedings and is independent of the legal system.  It resolves alleged violations of the Code of Student Conduct and the legal system resolves charges for alleged violations of the law.  Therefore, resolving an incident through the off-campus court system and through the University disciplinary system it is not considered to be double jeopardy.  In addition, the University disciplinary system is in place to determine your status as a student at the University.

The Family Educational Right to Privacy Act (1974) includes a student's conduct record within the privacy protections afforded to a college student's educational record.  Generally, the University will not disclose a student's conduct history without written permission from the student.  You may complete a Conduct-Specific FERPA release by submitting this FORM to the Office of Community Standards.

A student's emergency contact may be notified if there is an imminent risk to the student's health, safety, or welfare.  If a parent or guardian is able to provide current documentation that indicates they claim a student as a dependent for tax purposes, FERPA permits the institution to share student-specific information directly with the claimant.

We recommend you report it! You can do this by using the reporting form or contacting the police at (256)782-5050. If you're unsure what you want to do, please feel free to reach out via email to or by phone 256-782-8080 to talk with someone in our office. Please remember there are many resources for you as a student. You can always visit the Counseling Services in 147 Trustee Circle or call them at 256-782-5475 for confidential resources.