Tutoring and Academic Support
The Student Success Center provides a range of academic support services which include tutoring, Supplemental Instruction (SI), academic workshops, and mentoring. JSU offers FREE tutoring to all students regardless of grade point average or classification. The concept behind tutoring services at JSU is to model high quality, effective, academic skills, provide content-specific supplemental instruction, and create a connection to the institution. Tutors must combine their content knowledge with empathy, honesty, hard work, humility, and humor. The goal of the Student Success Center is to support the university's mission as a learning-centered institution.
- Tutoring is available for any JSU student for most core courses
- Tutoring is FREE as long as you are a JSU student
- Students will need to schedule an In-Person or Virtual Tutoring appointment using JSU Navigate
- In-Person Appointments will take place in the Student Success Center, located at the Houston Cole Library, 2nd Floor (256-782-8223)
- Virtual Tutoring is available at tutor.com (please see below for more information)
How to Schedule a Tutoring Appointment
- Log in to your MyJSU account and locate the “Student Links” section of your home page.
- Select the “JSU Navigate” link. This will sign you in to your JSU Navigate profile.
- From your Student Home screen, Change the Term. Click on the drop-down menu located on the top right of the screen next to the magnifying glass. Select the current term (ex. Spring 2021).
- Click on the “Schedule an Appointment” blue button located directly below the JSU logo.
- What type of appointment would you like to schedule? Use the drop-down menu to click on Tutoring.
- Pick a Service Category. Each category offers different services available in Tutoring
Service Category Options Services Available in Service Category Tutoring In-Person Tutoring, Virtual Tutoring Academic Assistance Academic Standing, Success Coaching Other Services Computer Use, Honorlock Computer Use, Printing Supplemental Instruction (SI) SI Leader Office Hours
- Pick a Service for your Appointment. Services will appear in a drop-down menu depending on the Service Category you select.
- Choose a location (i.e. Student Success Center, 2nd Floor) and a staff member, then click “Next.” If you have no staff preference, you can use “Any Staff.”
- Select the day and time you would like to schedule your appointment (available times will be highlighted in blue). Click “Next.”
- Review your appointment. You have the option to have email and text reminders sent to yourself and update your cellphone number. Remember to read the Additional Details for important information about your appointment. Once you are finished reviewing, click on “Confirm Appointment.”
Student Success Center Tutoring ScheduleSummer 2022
Important Information About Online Tutoring:
Online learning support provided by tutor.com and The Writing Center
The Division of Student Success is pleased to announce a partnership with tutor.com to provide online learning support to students during the semester. Tutor.com provides students with access to over 3,000 online tutors and appointment availability 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Subjects cover a wide variety of courses types including mathematics, science, world languages, computer science, nursing and health sciences, history and social sciences, literature, and business. Writing support will continue to be offered by The Writing Center.
To access tutor.com:
- Log in to Canvas
- Select the tutor.com link in the navigation menu of your course
- Create or sign in to tutor.com and select "Connect with a Tutor."
Faculty who are interested in learning more about tutor.com features and how tutor.com can assist with improved student learning outcomes, feel free to contact Candi Momon at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the client care center www.tutor.com/clientcareHEd
Tutor Appointment Cancellations
Student Success Tutors must submit a Tutor Absence Form to request approval from the Tutor Coordinator. Your absence will not be approved until the form has been submitted and a confirmation response has been sent back from a full-time Student Success staff member. If you have any questions or concerns about this process please contact Candi Momon, Tutor Coordinator, at email@example.com or at 256-782-8306.
All other JSU Tutors must contact their department to learn the department's cancellation policies and procedures.